Dr. P. P. Thomas
Dr. P P Thomas, completed his B.Sc. Engg. Degree in Chemical Engineering, from Government Engineering College, Thrissur in 1974. He took his MS degree in Chemical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Madras in 1986. Subsequently, he was awarded PhD in Chemical Engineering, from Indian Institute of Technology, Madras in 1994. He has 30 journal publications and 20 conference publications to his credit. The award instituted by Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers for ‘Excellence in Application of Science and Technology for Rural Development’ was given to him during the year 2003. The award was conferred on him in recognition of the work done on development and popularization of reverse flow natural convection driers (RRLT-NC Driers) for rural and tiny sector industrial applications. He has so far been awarded with 14 patents (national and international).
He has undertaken a visit to Japan under a R&D joint venture by National Institute for Interdisciplinary Science & Technology, (NIIST),CSIR, ( Formerly RRL, Regional Research Laboratory), Trivandrum, with a Japanese research establishment, HNIRI, Sapporo, Japan.
Before joining SCTCE, he has served as scientist with CSIR labs, CFTRI Mysore and NIIST Thiruvananthapuram and also held the post of Senior Deputy Director, in NIIST, Thiruvananthapuram. In NIIST, he was heading the Process Engineering & Environmental Technology Division. After superannuation, he was appointed in NIIST as Advisor, Projects for a period of one year.
He is a fellow of FIE- Institution Engineers, India,
Life member-LM- Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers,
Life Member—LM- Indian Institute of Mineral Engineers,
Member—M- AFST (I), Association of Food Scientists
His areas of interest are:
- Chemical and Biochemical Engg.
- Food Processing and Food Engineering
- Fluidization Engineering
- Development of technologies for rural development.
- Process and product development in Chemical, Bio Chemical processing.
- Development of Reverse Flow Natural convection Driers (without fan)- RRLT-NC Driers-different models, for the drying of different agricultural and other products. The driers are being used by hundreds of farmers, cottage scale units, self employed groups etc. The Technology was successfully commercialized.
- Development of multistage mechanically stirred semi fluidized bed drier for the drying of granular materials.
- Fluidized bed drying of different materials- batch, continuous and multistage.
- Processing of Ilmenite using high temperature fluidized bed.
- Processing of coconuts into products like partially defatted coconut gratings, virgin coconut oil, bottling of coconut water for use as a RTS beverage, preservation of coconut cream through processing and accelerated drying process to dry coconuts to make ball copra.
- Development of small capacity processing technology for the processing of palm fruits into palm oil.
- Application of microwaves for the inactivation of fat splitting enzymes present in rice bran and palm fruits leading to development of dry processing technology for oil extraction.
- Process for making white pepper powder from black pepper by dry grinding and fractional separation.
- Process for fractionating chilli oleoresin into high pungent fraction and pungency free colour.
- Deskinning of black pepper to make white pepper by acid treatment
- Technology for the production of glucose from maize grits through the enzyme route.
- Machine for the separation of stones from Coriander.
- Technology for the production of methyl bromide - a fumigant
- Technology for the production of cashew nut better using broken cashew nut kernels.
Besides the Dean Academics and R&D post, he also holds the post of Head of Department, Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering Department, SCTCE.